Both tires ensure your bike’s adherence to the road. Be it speed or braking. They must be in good condition to ensure your safety. Do not hesitate to carry out regular maintenance and change them if necessary. In this article, we tell you when replacing your tires is essential.
Perform regular checks
It is recommended to check the condition of your tires once a week. The tread must not be cracked, deformed, or have bumps. Otherwise, it means that the tire is not working in its optimal condition. You must also control the following:
- Pressure: tire pressure that is too low or too high leads to poor road holding and can cause accidents. This is why it is recommended to check the pressure twice a month. The maximum load is indicated on the tires. In the maintenance manual of your motorcycle, you will find the ideal weight.
- Balancing: It must be checked every six months.
- The depth of the sculptures: they indicate the state of wear of your tire.
If in doubt, seek the advice of a specialist, he will tell you if your tire is in use.
In case of puncture
Your tires, even very resistant, can burst. In the case of a leak, your tire must be examined by a professional mechanic, who will decide whether to change it.
To be able to move while waiting to go to a garage, you can opt for a motorcycle puncture protection kit to inflate your tires momentarily. For example, choose the ankle repair kit: it includes several dowels, a glue tube, a spin, a guiding tool, and one or more compressed CO2 cylinders. Small and practical, it can be stored under your saddle to carry out a temporary repair.
To inflate your tire, you will have to perform the following operations:
- Mark the location of the puncture, for example with chalk
- Remove the nail or object that caused the leak
- Use the spin to homogenize the puncture hole
- Take an ankle that you are coating with glue
- Push the dowel into the hole with the guiding tool
- Inflate the tire with the CO2 cylinder
- Cut off the outer end of the ankle
As part of this repair done by yourself, it is mandatory to control the pressure as long as it’s not done roll at deficient speed.
When the legal wear limit of your tire is reached
To check tire wear, check the wear indicators. These are indicated on the sidewalls of the tires by a triangle, an arrow, and so on.
The wear indicators are small bumps located at the bottom of the central furrows of the tires. When the height of the rubber reaches the height of the wear indicators, this means that the tire is at the legal wear limit of 1 mm. This is the critical limit. It is imperative to change your tires before reaching this limit, as your tires no longer guarantee safety, grip, and performance. You risk skidding and aquaplaning. Also, past this limit, you are in violation and risk a fine of € 90.
There are not a given number of kilometers to change your tires. Everything will depend on your riding style, the type of road, the kind of rubber, and your bike.
In case of abnormal deformation of the tire
Part of your tire may be worn out more than the rest. Too much load, bad pressure, or a balancing problem can cause the deformation of your tire structure. Then follows rolling irregularities. The replacement of the tire is then inevitable.